If you were recently arrested for DUI in Miami, it is important that you know that you are up against serious penalties, including:
- Up to $1,000 in fines, plus court costs
- 50 hours of community service
- Up to 9 months in jail
- Up to a one-year driver’s license revocation
- DUI classes and counseling
All of that is just for a first-time offense!
DUI cases are not hopeless. There are ways to win, however, your choice in attorney can make or break your case. You want someone who knows how to investigate and strategically tailor well-developed defenses, but not all defense lawyers are created equal.
There are few offenses in our criminal justice system that call for greater attorney expertise than driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. DUI cases are complex because defense counsel must understand both the scientific and the legal processes involved.
Such issues involve:
- Illegal interrogation
- Search and seizure violations
- Due process
- Denial of counsel
- Police misconduct
- Evidentiary issues
The legal issues in DUI cases intersect with scientific data such as anatomy, chemistry, physiology, and toxicology, not to mention pseudo-scientific processes such as field sobriety testing. As you can imagine, not every attorney has advanced-level knowledge and experience when it comes to the practice of DUI defense.
That said, it is well worth your time and effort to find out what attributes would make a Miami attorney the best DUI lawyer to handle your case. Here is a list of qualities to look for in a qualified DUI defense lawyer:
- Experience: Experience is important when you choose a dentist, a doctor, or an accountant, and the same goes for your choice of attorney. When you retain a lawyer with decades of experience defending DUI, you are better off than when you hire someone who is fresh out of law school, or someone who only dabbles in DUI defense.
- Member of the National College for DUI Defense: The NCDD is the only organization in the U.S. that is accredited by the American Bar Association to certify lawyers in the DUI defense specialty practice area. NCDD accreditation is the gold standard, and your attorney should be a member.
- Professional Recognition: An excellent way to evaluate an attorney is to look at his or her professional recognitions and accomplishments. Look for attorneys who are accredited by the Better Business Bureau,,Rated highly by AVVO.com members of The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, and AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. These are all indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- A Proven Track Record for Results: Look for an attorney with a long track record of success in DUI cases. There’s a big difference between an attorney who’s defended 100 DUI cases versus an attorney who has defended thousands.
How would a conviction affect your job, your insurance, your family, and your driver’s license? In the face of criminal charges, you need the best Miami DUI lawyer you can find, because you simply cannot afford to settle for “just okay” representation.
I’m Jonathan Blecher, and I am confident that I have the experience and qualifications that you are looking for in the best DUI lawyer for your case in the Miami area. Not only do I have more than 30 years of experience, but I am a former prosecutor who has defended over 3,000 DUI cases. I’ve also been recognized by
Legal Elite and
Cambridge Who’s Who in Law.
To learn more about how I can be of service to you, please contact my firm to schedule a free consultation.