It’s that time of year again, it’s time for Secret Santa exchanges at work, White Elephant parties, company Christmas or “holiday” parties, eggnog and of course, lots of wine and champaign.
For many people, the holidays also bring about increased levels of stress. Stress from trying to find that “perfect gift,” stress from spending too much on those perfect gifts, stress from holiday traffic and overcrowded malls, and stress from seeing certain family members.
Between all of the celebrations where alcohol flows freely and the stress that comes with the season, it’s no wonder why December is one of the busiest months for DUI arrests.
If you’re planning on drinking during the holidays, you should be aware that the local police are on high alert for drunk drivers and they’ll see you before you see them.
Holiday Saturation Patrols and DUI Checkpoints
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), each year drunk driving takes the lives of more than 10,000 people.
As a part of the NHTSA’s anti-drinking and driving campaign, “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over,” law enforcement nationwide are cracking down on drunk drivers between December 18 and December 31 by setting up additional DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols.
With Miami-Dade County being such a hotspot for tourists and partiers, you can count on the fact that Miami-Dade Police Department is already working hard to nab drunk drivers.
Tips to stay DUI-free this holiday season:
- If you’re going to drink, make sure you have a designated driver.
- If a DD is out of the question, call Uber, Lyft, or a cab. Even if the ride-sharing company increases its rates for the holiday, it’s a lot cheaper than a DUI!
- If a ride is out of the question, see about staying overnight if you’re at someone’s house. Even if it means sleeping off a hangover on their couch.
- If you’re going to a company party that’s near or at a hotel, get a room so you don’t have to worry about sticking to one or two drinks.
- It may be your last resort, but you could take public transportation.
If you do get arrested for DUI between now and New Year’s Day, contact Jonathan Blecher, P.A. to speak with a Miami DUI attorney for free. As a former prosecutor and DUI expert with over 30 years’ experience, you can trust me to defend you!