Getting arrested for driving under the influence can be a nerve-racking event. Now, getting arrested for your second DUI, that’s a whole different story. As a general rule of thumb, the sentencing and penalties for crimes get worse with each subsequent offense, and DUI is NO exception.
If you’ve been convicted of DUI in Florida before, you’ve already been through the wringer. So understandably, you’re going to want to fight your DUI charges.
In the face of a second DUI, here are the penalties that you are up against:
- Fines ranging between $1,000 and $2,000.
- If your blood alcohol level (BAL) was 0.15% or higher or if you had a minor
in the vehicle, you face up to $4,000 in fines.
- Up to 9 months behind bars.
- With a BAL of 0.15% or above, or a minor in your vehicle, you could be
sent to jail for up to 12 months.
- 30 days vehicle impoundment.
- License revocation for a minimum of 5 years (if this was your second DUI
within 5 years). However, you may be eligible for a hardship reinstatement
after one year.
- If it’s been more than 5 years since your first DUI, your license
will be revoked for 180 days to 1 year.
- If you are a commercial driver’s license holder, you will be permanently
disqualified from driving commercial vehicles.
- You are required to complete DUI School (second DUI within 5 years).
- You will be required to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) for
at least one year.
When does it become a felony DUI?
Generally, first and second DUIs are misdemeanors. If an intoxicated driver caused personal injury or property damage to another, they are guilty of a first degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and up to one year in jail.
On the other hand, whenever someone is convicted of a third DUI within 10 years, he or she is guilty of a third degree felony, punishable by a fine not to exceed $5,000 and/or 5 years in prison.
Are you facing charges for a second DUI in Miami? Don’t hesitate to contact my firm, Jonathan Blecher, P.A. for a free case evaluation. As a former prosecutor with over 30 years of DUI defense experience,
I have what it takes to defend you!