COVID-19 ANNOUNCEMENT AND HELPFUL INFORMATION
As we weather this crisis together, it’s important that the public is aware of what’s happening with their court cases. I am available to speak or video teleconference with anyone who has questions.
As of today (May 20, 2020), all courthouses in Miami-Dade County are closed except for emergency matters, first appearances (initial bond review) and bond reduction hearings. Some other court hearings are being conducted through the ZOOM tele-conference platform.
- All Circuit Court and County Court calendars, including the jail divisions at REGJB, are cancelled until June 30, 2020, perhaps longer.
- Driver License offices are closed, but we can contact them via e-mail and telephone.
- The Advocate Program is still conducting classes for Felony, DUI, Drug Diversion, Domestic Violence, and others. Follow this link to continue with your requirements online. New enrollees can follow this link to begin registration. Required boating safety classes can be done online, as well.
- Domestic violence (DV) criminal calendars will be heard at the Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center, including DV first appearance hearings/bond hearings
- Arraignments calendars for all DV criminal cases be cancelled and reset by the Clerk.
- Arraignments, Soundings, Reports, Probation Violation Hearings, and Trials are all postponed. The Clerk will issue new notices and I’ll communicate with each of you when that happens.
- Those clients who are on probation or in diversion programs should report to their probation officer or program counselor by e-mail, simply to let them know you are still around. Keep a copy of the e-mail for your records.
- Community service will resume when safe, though there are online options available. Required classes may be done online. You should not be violated or removed from a program because of this. A new law violation will land you in jail and have your probation violated or program attendance revoked. Reach out to your counselor or probation officer by e-mail to see if that’s acceptable and keep a copy for your records.
- Some clients have ignition interlock devices installed on their cars. Continue to use the devices as instructed and call your installer to advise that you still have the device. If you experience a problem with the device, you may not be able to use your car. You'll need to contact the installer. Here's a website link for Smart Start, SCRAM, Intoxalock and FLHSMV.
- You may not be able to report to the installer to have the instrument re-calibrated or removed. If so, continue to use the device as instructed. If you are required to install such a device, and haven’t done so yet, send an e-mail to your probation officer or counselor and keep a copy. There are remote breath testing devices that can be used whether or not you have a car.
- Clients who have pending Petitions to Seal or Expunge their record simply must sit tight and be patient, as these cases cannot be heard by a judge at this time. Delays in processing already-filed applications are to be expected.
- Please contact me via e-mail first. I respond very quickly. I can also receive text messages, but reserve those for special circumstances. Please refrain from texts after 9 PM unless it’s an emergency. Contact me the next day and I’ll get right back to you.
- Be careful, be safe and be well. We’re in this together.
Here are some important links to help you through: