In Florida, you need to have a concealed weapon license to lawfully carry a concealed weapon. Florida residents can apply for concealed weapons in-person, by mail, or online. If you’re interested in applying, you must meet the eligibility requirements and you will need the following documents:
- A Certificate of Completion that says you successfully completed a firearms training class.
- A digital photo from the past 30 days (passport-style).
- A credit or debit card or an electronic check to pay the non-refundable fee.
Is Open Carry Legal in Florida?
You may be wondering if open carry with or without a permit or license is valid in Florida. Open carry is not legal in Florida, even if the individual has a concealed weapon license. However, if someone has a license and they are lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, they can briefly display the firearm in another person’s line of sight, unless the person displays the firearm in an angry or threatening manner that has nothing to do with self-defense. In Florida, people can openly carry self-defense chemical spray, and nonlethal stun guns or dart-firing stung guns for self-defense purposes.
Places Off-Limits for Concealed Weapons
Even if you do obtain a concealed weapon license, you can’t take your firearm everywhere. There are places that strictly prohibit firearms, including concealed weapons:
These places are off-limits for concealed weapons:
- All sheriff, police, and highway patrol stations;
- All detention facilities, jails, and prisons;
- All courtrooms and courthouses;
- All polling places;
- All meetings for counties, municipalities, and public schools;
- All elementary and secondary schools;
- All vocational-technical centers;
- All colleges and universities;
- All passenger areas of airports; and
- All places where firearms are prohibited under federal law.
Note: It is not illegal for passengers to carry legal firearms into terminals for the purposes of shipment. In these cases, they have to be checked in as baggage to be lawfully transported on an airplane.